Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Today we headed off to Korea University for morning seminar on the relationship between North and South Korea. Korea has been a divided country since the end of World War II, and Professor Kim Sung-han shared with us his insights on how the North and South of Korea can move forward in peace and unity. Later in the morning and again in the afternoon we all had a fun time studying the Korean language and Hongul, the Korean alphabet. The Korean language I learned is is the 10th most spoken language in the world. Check out my Korean Language 101 link and give it a try!
In the afternoon I had the best experience so far on the trip. We visited Dae Il Foreign Language High School. My student guide and host for the day and evening was Shirley and she was a very sweet young lady. She gave me a tour of the school and then I was given the opportunity to teach a class of 35 Korean students for 50 minutes. It was so exciting for me to be there with the students as I shared with them all that my 8 Yellow students had written and drawn about their favorite things. I next gave the students and opportunity to draw and share their about what they enjoy doing in Korea.


















Here's what I found out.....


  • Korean Teeanagers Like:
  • to cook La Myun (A traditional Korean spicy noodle dish)
  • to sing in Noe-Rae-Bangs
  • going to the movies (Secret Sunshine is a big hit now; Harry Potter to text message and call friends on their cell phones
  • to use Samsung products! (Samsung is a Korean Business that makes cameres, PDA's etc.)
  • to ski (Korea is 70% mountains).
  • to eat Rayeon noodles for snacks
  • *to travel
    *talk with friends
    *take pictures with their digital cameras





  • to read
  • watch handsome or beautiful entertainers
  • conduct science experiments
  • play golf
  • sleep (because they study a lot)
  • have good times with their big families
  • watch movies on their PMP's (i station).
  • going to museums
  • watch Harry Potter movies
  • to study
  • play basketball

After the teaching sessions I went over Shirley's house for a memorable dinner with the Han family. I took my shoes off and entered their lovely apartment. We had a delicious homemade dinner that Shirley's grandmother had been preparing all day-bibimbap, bulgogi (grilled beef) and kimchi (pickled vegetables) as side dishes. For dessert we had watermelon. After dinner, Shirley's younger sister Ashley played the piano for us and we talked about Korea and America and what we have in common and how we're different. They were very gracious hosts and I enjoyed my time with them so much and hated to go, but soon it was time for Shirley's dad to bring me back to the hotel. While aying goodbye in the hotel lobby, I knew that I had made some meaningful friendhips that day that I would never forget.


No comments: